Saturday, March 29, 2008

Letter from Private Ryan!

We had a letter from Ryan yesterday. He is doing good. He finally got a letter from me. I received two, "return to sender" this week and I was getting very angry. One letter that was sent back to me had been opened and retaped?
He said last week was the best week by far. He did the Gas Chamber last week. He was nervous, but he came through, after gaging and getting sick. But he was able to recite everything he was suppose to before he left the chamber. He has been learning combat with a bayonet, and something that looks like a big q-tip? He also did an obstacle coarse that was the biggest he had ever seen. With hurdles, rope climbing, crawling under barbed wire and lots of mud. He has started to shoot his M-16, which he says he is pretty good at. He has marched in full "rattle Battle" which when completed dressed out, weights about 50lbs. He has 5 more weeks until graduation. He says these last weeks will be marching, camping, more marching and camping.
He says keep on writing and sending those cards.
love Jo-D

2 comments:

Chuck Baker said...

Those q-tips are pugel sticks, I presume. (Like they use on joust on American Gladiators, if you are familiar with that.) You can get whooped pretty good upside the head with them if you aren't careful. At OCS we had helmets and mouthguards though, so there was no danger - I assume Ryan's training had the same.

Baker Blog said...

Pugel sticks, hikes and PT were not the most fun I ever had when I was in OCS. It brings back memories but since it was 1969 I am over the nightmares. The good part is that its almost over and he will have the chance to learn a profession for the future and get back to a semblance of a normal life. I realize I am probably in the minority now but I would not change my time in the service for anything. I just would not want to do it again.

PDP