Friday, April 18, 2008

PREPAREDNESS!!

Back in the day when the guy in New Mexico was predicting earthquakes, we had earthquake drills all the time. This was in Advance and Fredericktown. Just inside the door of my room we kept a bag on a hook that contained rosters, medical supplies, even medicine that some of my students might need in case they couldn't get home. We had a trailer in back of the school in Advance that contained bottled water, blankets and such. We experienced a 4.5 one morning while I was taking attendance. At first we thought that it was a delivery truck for the kitchen. Then I realized what it was. I kind of vibrated across the tile floor. My students and I were in shock. This prompted the safety measures.

Paul and I went to a ballgame one Wednesday night. We have a package of seven games. Our seats are really quite good. Two on the aisle only one row in front of us. We are over an entrance, so there will be no one walking in front of us. Just to the left of the right field foul pole. They won, which was a plus.
The metro was packed after the game, so we took one train with the intentions of changing trains at Forest Park and DeBaliviere. Some guy offered me his seat. I almost turned it down, but took it. The guy next to me asked for my name. I gave it to him, then asked his name. "David" he said. I was quick to introduce him to Paul. David said that it sure was good to meet new people. He told me that he was getting off at Grand and then taking a bus home. We chatted for a minute, then he showed me a badge that labeled him as an OFFENDER. He said that he had been in prison for 5 years. When they let him out just that day they put him on the metro without a dime. Could I see it in my heart to give him bus fare. I told David that I was broke also, without a dime.
He guesses that the bus driver will let him ride anyway. I said that maybe he should squeeze out a tear. Anyway, Paul was not paying any attention to our conversation. So when we got to Grand, he thinks we should get off there and catch the next train to Lambert. I didn't want to be with David any longer , but didn't know how to gracefully tell Paul that we were in the company of a sheister. We stood next to the metro police until our train came. End of story, we made it home.

Today is Nathaniel's 2nd birthday. Tomorrow is Sara's hmmm birthday. I don't know if she is telling the year.

LC

2 comments:

Baker Blog said...

Interesting and now grateful that I don't ride that metro anymore. I told Jamie one night that if I didn't make it home he could find me there beaten to a pulp. This kid wanted to get by me and said "excuse me". When I didn't move fast enough he told me to get the f*** out of his way to which I promptly replied "Watch your mouth!". Still teaching manners...

Baker Blog said...

crap...above was from Reva (RB :) )