Thursday, April 10, 2008

Interesting Job Opportunity (Finally!)

As many of you know, I have been graduated from Mizzou with my BS in Education since August 06 and even more obviously, am not teaching in a school somewhere.

I'd been quite frustrated with the apparent "drastic teacher shortage" that politicians and media talk about often because here I was, ready to teach some social studies and I was gettin' no love! I had been sending out resumes and such to schools for a year and a half and had not even gotten an interview.

Sometime in February I decided that it was time push my pride aside and try to add some other certifications to my qualifications so I could get a job somewhere! I took both the middle school math and science tests on March 15 so I could be eligible for those positions for next year. Lo and behold, that seems to have been the magic move because I am finally getting some contacts; schools are actually calling me!

Here comes the dilemma - I had a terrific interview for a math position at Westview Middle School in the Riverview Gardens District. Quite unexpectedly, they called me 2 hours later and offered me the position! My struggle is that I know I have at least one other interview (but not exactly when) for math and probably one at Lindbergh High School for social studies. I would not have a problem with missing out on the other math opportunity, but I would hate to take this position right now and miss out on a social studies job (my #1 preference).

Any help?

2 comments:

Baker Blog said...

Can I just say that I took the first thing that came my way (Riverview Gardens) and it bit me in the butt...this time around in my career change, I waited for the interview that I really wanted. I lost out on my backup job, but got the one that I wanted. It worked out for me but it doesn't always work that way...

Baker Blog said...

Forgot again...that was Reva but I am sure everyone would have figured it out.