Sunday, April 27, 2008

The birds!

Ok...so the Birks made it to Jackson to see the birds that Grandma now call her babies! They are pretty cute, but we found a few more they didn't know were there. Grandpa's trellis in the front is housing a nest with at least one baby bird, and the gourd in the front tree might be but Audrey wouldn't look again after the mother came flying out at her face the first time. Poor thing was a little shook up...

Grandpa's new mower is very nice but he tried to push the old one off on me. I told him I didn't want the hunk of junk but he is trying to fix it (rig it) up just the same. Maybe some poor ol' chap will take it off his hands soon. Some neighbor lady was getting rid of her push mower and well, he thought he could fix that one up too.

We got to talking about how there are quite a few lefty's in our clan. Grandpa said it was nice when he was working with his dad in the field because they could each be on one side husking corn or baling hay and never got in each other's way. It was also their strong side so they were able to work better I assume...

I found death certificates for some of our family members we never got the chance to meet. First I found Gertie Ann McClain, grandma's mom. She passed on April 15th, 1944 from shock of blood loss following a hysterectomy. Gertie Ann's dad, grandma's grandpa, died from heart disease on Feb 1st, 1929. She (grandma) was only a year old. On grandpa's side I found Ethel May Bond's death certificate, Reva Marie's mom? grandpa's grandma?, that shows she died from heart disease on Feb 24th, 1950. (Note: She also had diabetes so it runs on the Baker side) I also found Great grandpa Eddie's mom, Eve Adeline Baker. She died on April 2nd, 1940. She had pneumonia. Grandma was really interested in what I found so I will see if I can find more.

Hope all is well with everyone!
Reva

6 comments:

Chuck Baker said...

Where did you find the death certificates?

Baker Blog said...

If you go to yahoo and type in missouri death certificates if comes up as Missouri digital heritage. Pretty interesting to sit and read through them realizing what killed people back then is nothing today. One person was hit by a train...guess that would still stand true today huh?

Chuck Baker said...

What if I go on Google?

Baker Blog said...

not sure then...

Baker Blog said...

I was talking to Mom about your visit and the death certificate, and she does not remember you tell her about them. I take her to the Dr. on Tuesday.
Jo-D

Baker Blog said...

But, she might remember if you ask her about it today. I find that is kind of how her memory works. Yes, we're back!
LC