Thursday, April 14, 2016

Not what I expected...

I met with Dr. Patterson yesterday...things didn't go quite as planned. First I actually met with anesthesia. The nurse informed me that they would not use my port for surgery because it wasn't good for "resuscitative measures". Who are they going to be resuscitating?? Let's just say that this wasn't the only surprise! The resident said I would have an IV to go to sleep but I would probably wake up with an Arterial line and maybe another line. I will have a thoracic epidural for pain control. I will most likely spend the first night in the ICU or the step down unit. They drew my blood work and sent me to the doctor.

Dr. Patterson came in, sat down, and asked how I was doing. I said the nausea was better but I was still tired. That's when he told me he thought we should wait a week. WHAT?!? He said I have to be at the top of my game going in to this surgery. I should have explained that I had worked 3 out of four days in a row and was just wore out. We decided that I would see how the PET scan went and talk with Dr. kosuri Friday. I will get back with him then as to whether or not we proceed or push it off a week. Now my allergies are hitting and it might not be such a bad idea. 😩

As for the surgery itself, we discussed the abdominal mesh and the Peg tube. He said he didn't think the mesh would be a problem for the upper abdominal incision but that he couldn't put a tube or button through the mesh. 😳 Ok, then what?! He never said. Um...

Needless to say I left with more questions than answers. I fully trust Dr. Patterson and have heard wonderful things about him but people have rearranged their lives for next week and I don't know that I could emotionally wait another week. I think I would just sit and obsess for the next week and a half! I want to be able to get this done! Today I got the kids off to school and didn't take a single nap! Let's pray everything goes as planned, if it's meant to.

And I'm going to kick the next person that tells me how BIG this surgery is. I'm aware.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

praying here. God, grant a way.

Rusty<><